14 Step Moving Guide
To ensure you are comfortable with all aspects of your move and our services we have outlined here the 14 step moving guide. This will give you a good idea of what you can expect from us and what will be expected of you. Please Contact Us if you have any questions.
1. Determine the Weight of Your Goods – The best way to determine the weight is to use the Get a Free Estimate Form on this website. The weight of your goods can also be derived from a List of Goods obtained during an in-home estimate with one of our Moving Consultants, or created during an over-the-phone estimate.
2. We Provide You With Our Estimate – Once we know the weight of your shipment, where you are moving to and from, and when you are moving we will provide you with an estimate of costs.
3. You Book Our Services – We require a deposit upon booking. The deposit is taken, a reservation (registration) number is issued and your move is booked for the agreed-upon date. We forward you a Customer Responsibility Form at this time via email, so it is important that we have your correct email address.
4. We Reconfirm The Details 24 Hours Before Your Move or Packing Date – We will contact you by phone or email at least 24 hours prior to your move or packing date to reconfirm your start time, address and services required. If for some reason we have not been able to reach you it is important that you contact our Dispatch Office 24 hours prior to your move date so we can make the final arrangements.
5. Our Crew is Dispatched to Your Location – The crew that has been assigned to your move will be dispatched and arrive by your scheduled start time. In the event that they are delayed due to traffic or any other unforeseen circumstances they will contact you to advise you of the delay.
6. Review of Your Goods, Your Contract, and the Services We’ll Be Providing – When we arrive you will be introduced to your moving crew and we will lay floor runners to protect the main traffic areas. The Van Foreman will ask you to review and sign the contract, and will walk through your home with you to confirm the List of Goods and Services we will be providing as listed on your Bill of Lading.
7. Packing – If we pack your household goods all items are professionally packaged in appropriate moving cartons, and all packed items are covered for insurance purposes. You are welcome to do your own packing as long as you understand your goods cannot be insured as we cannot confirm they were professionally wrapped and packaged.
8. If Moving To Storage or Long Distance – If your goods are moving to storage or long distance, an inventory of the items you are shipping and their condition at origin will be created. It is important that you review this Inventory with the Van Forman to ensure you agree with the Inventory.
9. Wrapping – Sofa sets, mattresses and box springs are plastic wrapped at a small additional cost of $10.00 per unit to prevent damage and stains. Your other furniture will be blanket-wrapped to protect it before loading onto the truck.
10. Determination of Final Charges and Arrival Date – The next step is to weigh (scale) your shipment to determine the final charges. Before the truck arrives at your home it is weighed. This gives us the ‘Light Weight’ (Tare) of the truck. After the truck is loaded we return to the scale to get the ‘Heavy Weight’ of your truck (Gross weight). The Tare weight is subtracted from the Gross weight to give us the ‘Net Weight’ or the weight of your shipment. This information is forwarded to our Dispatch by the Van Foreman and within 24 business hours the final charges are forwarded to you by phone or email. You will also be given an approximate arrival date at your new residence which will coincide with the delivery period on your Bill of Lading.
11. Notification of Delivery at Destination – Your Van Foreman will be in contact with you at least 24 hours before arrival at your new residence. At this time your final delivery date and time will be agreed upon.
12. Payment of Balance Due – You are required to pay the full balance due when the truck arrives at your new home before the truck is unloaded. Acceptable methods of payment are:Cash, Money Order, Bankdraft, Visa, MasterCard, or Billing if this has been pre-approved. Payable to: Bronte Moving and Cartage Ltd.
13. Unloading of Your Goods – Upon arrival, the crew will lay floor runners to protect your floors in the most traveled areas of your new home. You are required to check the items off of your Inventory and to verify that the condition of the items is the same as when loaded at your origin residence. You will also be required to instruct the crew as to the room and location you would like the items delivered to. If there is any discrepancy (damaged or missing item) noted on the Inventory, it must be recorded at this time on the Delivery Exceptions column on your Inventory Form. Record the exception beside the corresponding number of the damaged or missing item and ask the Van Foreman for a Claim Form and follow the instructions on the Form for submitting your claim.
14. Final Bill of Lading and Inventories – Once everything is unloaded and you have confirmed that you have received everything, you will be given a final signed copy of the Bill of Lading and Inventories for your records. Don’t forget to submit your moving expenses to your accountant; most moving expenses are tax deductible.